National Strategy for Suicide Prevention Revision/Update Task Force
This task force was assembled in 2011 to guide the revision and update of the 2001 National Strategy for Suicide Prevention. Working closely with a broad array of individuals and organizations from the public and private sectors, the task force culminated in the release of the revised National Strategy, released in October 2012.
Note: This group is no longer active. Titles and affiliations are from the time of membership and may have since changed.
Task Force Members
- Regina Benjamin, MD, MBA, Surgeon General, Vice Admiral, U.S. Public Health Service, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (Public Sector)
- Jerry Reed, PhD, MSW, Director, Suicide Prevention Resource Center (Private Sector)
- Carl Bell, MD, President & CEO, Community Mental Health Council; and Director, Institute for Juvenile Research, Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Brian Boon, PhD, President & CEO, Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities
- Eric Caine, MD, Chair, Department of Psychiatry, University of Rochester Medical Center
- Brian Dyak, President & CEO, Entertainment Industries Council, Inc.
- Jim Galloway, MD, FACO, FACC, Assistant Surgeon General and Regional Health Administrator, Surgeon General’s Office, Rear Admiral, U.S. Public Health Service, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Michael Hogan, PhD, Independent Advisor and Consultant, Hogan Health Solutions LLC
- John (Jack) R. Jordan, PhD, Founder and Director, Family Loss Project
- Ira Katz, MD, PhD, Deputy Chief Patient Care Services Officer, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Melvin A. Kohn, MD, MPH, Director and State Health Officer, Oregon Public Health Division, Oregon Health Authority
- Richard McKeon, PhD, MPH, Chief, Suicide Prevention Branch, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Richard Ramsay, MSW, RSW, Professor Emeritus of Social Work, University of Calgary, Canada
- Daniel J. Reidenberg, PsyD, FAPA, Executive Director, Suicide Awareness Voices of Education
- Scott Ridgway, MS, Executive Director, Tennessee Suicide Prevention Network
- Morton Silverman, MD, Senior Medical Advisor, Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- Eduardo Vega, MA, Executive Director, Mental Health Association of San Francisco