Cal Beyer, MPA
Cal Beyer is the Vice President of Workforce Risk & Worker Mental Wellbeing for CSDZ, a firm dedicated to construction risk management for over 100 years. In partnership with parent company Holmes Murphy & Associates, CSDZ serves construction companies nationwide. Previously, Beyer served as Director of Risk Management at construction company Lakeside Industries, Inc. in Issaquah, WA from 2014 until 2020.
He has a Master of Public Administration from the University of Kansas concentrating in local government management. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in political science and urban studies. Beyer also serves as a Certified Wellness Practitioner and a Safety Transportation Project Professional. He has worked in the public, private and nonprofit sectors.
Beyer has over 30 years of professional experience in risk, insurance and safety management and business consultation. He has extensive experience in strategic risk improvement and risk management best practices. He is a multi-industry thought leader, and a catalyst for sustainable cultural change.
Beyer was an inaugural member (and Co-Lead; 2015-2017), of the Action Alliance's Workplace Task Force. Since 2015 he catalyzed a strategic media campaign in the construction industry to increase awareness, advocacy and action on mental health and suicide prevention. This led to over 180 publications, more than 100 presentations and 25 regional suicide prevention summits since 2015.
- Beyer was named one of the Top 25 Newsmakers for 2016 in the global construction industry by Engineering-News Record (ENR), the leading voice of the construction industry, for his work promoting mental health and suicide prevention.
- Beyer is active in the Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA) and served as National Secretary for 2009-2010. He is the 2016 recipient of the prestigious Danny Parrish Outstanding Leadership Award, a career achievement award, and the 2018 Chairman’s Award.
- Cal was the catalyst for CFMA creating the Construction Industry Alliance for Suicide Prevention.
- Beyer was a driving force in the Action Alliance's Construction Subcommittee of the Workplace Task Force being awarded the 2016 Gary Horizon Award for Innovation from the International Risk Management Institute (IRMI).
- He was an invited speaker at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services pre-meeting on mental health at the January 2016 White House Dialogue on Men's Health.
- He was an invited speaker to the Safe States Alliance involving the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Office of the U.S. Surgeon General, and the National Safety Council in August 2020
- Cal serves on the Expert Advisory Group of the American Psychiatric Association’s Center for Workplace Mental Health.
- He’s authored/co-authored over 40 articles on suicide prevention focusing on the construction industry.
His prior experience with mental health and suicide prevention includes work experience during college in healthcare and as a resident assistant for on-campus housing. His work in public sector and construction risk management engaged him in critical incident response. He also consulted with law enforcement agencies on suicide prevention initiatives relating to intake assessments and ongoing medical/behavioral screening protocols.
Beyer’s vision is to create a reproducible model for other industries encouraging larger employers to develop guidelines to integrate suicide prevention into corporate safety, health/wellness, employee benefit, workers compensation, integrated disability management and labor relations programs.