National Weekend of Prayer Promotion
Celebrating the National Weekend of Prayer for Faith, Hope, & Life (9/7-9/9)
Three Simple Steps
- Communicate. Let your members know about the event ahead of time. Check out our sample communication aids: bulletin inserts and PowerPoint presentations as well as tips for sharing on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms. Please share your community’s involvement in the National Weekend of Prayer! Post a video of your prayers for Faith, Hope, and Life to social media using the hashtag #PrayFHL
- Plan and Pray. Plan how you will incorporate National Weekend of Prayer into your regular services. Consider showing the National Weekend of Prayer for Faith, Hope, & Life invitational video, followed by a time of prayer. Check out the prayer guide for ideas about how to address the topic in sensitive and caring ways and these additional sample prayers for use in a variety of worship settings
- Educate. Take this opportunity to educate yourself and your faith community members about ways to “be there” for someone who is struggling, in crisis, or who has been touched by suicide in any way.
Here are some online resources:
- Be the One to Be There (website)
- Be There for Veterans and Service Members – learn what you can do (website)
- How to Help a Suicidal Friend (video)
- Holistically Managing Mental Illness (video)
- Stigmatized: Black Churches and Mental health (video)
- Jewish Families of Faith and Mental Illness (video)
- Mental Health and Working with People (video - a rabbi's perspective)
Share information about how to recognize the warning signs of suicide. Free wallet cards are available on-line by either downloading the file or ordering printed copies. Familiarize yourself with tips for responding to someone who may be at risk for suicide. Post and distribute information about the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-TALK (8255))
To learn more about ministering to persons who have been touched by suicide or persons with mental health, emotional health, or substance abuse challenges, please check out other information and resources.